In the modern world, there is so much information about a huge range of topics which weren’t considered in past eras. Part of this is an increase in the nutritional information contained within the foods and drinks that we consume. This extends to all aspects of health and fitness which has been revolutionised by the boom in information in the field of nutrition. People also care about this type of information for the sake of their pets as well and are far more careful about what they feed to their animals to make sure that they are healthy for as long as possible. Supplements and other health related products have boomed along with this and one popular one amongst dog owners is ‘Salmon Oil’.
There are many brands which produce salmon oil designed for dogs and it can vary according to its potency and the additional elements which some manufacturers may add to increase the qualities within the supplement. Grizzly is one of the leading manufacturers of the product and their version is one of the most popular available on the market for its perceived quality for making your dogs live healthier lives.
How is it taken?
Like most natural supplements actually consuming the substance is very easy for most dogs who won’t even notice the change and may possibly even like the flavour. It can easily be added to one of your dog’s meals a day to enhance the nutritional value of the meal and allow the dog to easily consume the supplement and absorb into the body in order to reap the full benefits of using it.
When is it taken?
The supplement is very easy for the dog’s body to break down as the molecules inside it are all natural and are designed to be easily absorbed. This means that it isn’t hugely important when the supplement is taken, it can either be with their morning or evening meal. It can also be added to a snack during the day and will have the same impact due to the ability to break up the natural chemicals.
How much should be taken at a time?
This depends on the size of the dog itself and this can be checked using a table on the back of the Grizzly bottle. Essentially the larger the dog the more they will need to feel the benefits but the changes aren’t huge even between very small and very large dogs. Twice a day is what the recommended amounts are for and are to be mixed in with food that the dog is already eating.
What is the taste like?
The flavour of the supplement actually matches the content and is flavoured like fresh salmon to make it far more enjoyable for dogs to consume and enjoy rather than forcing them to eat something that they will hate. This also helps it to be seamlessly blended into meals which already contain a base of fish.
What’s in the supplement?
The Salmon Oil supplement contains 100% salmon oil extracted from wild Alaskan Salmon allowing it to stay fresh and healthy keeping the oil as pure and nutritious as possible. It is one of the best sources available to nourish you dogs with omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids which are the source of most of the great benefits of salmon oil.
Omega-6 is the more common of the two polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) and can be found from a wide variety of places for a dog. It is the huge content of omega-3 that the salmon oil gains many of its rare benefits. It is most common in oily fish such as salmon, tuna and mackerel among others. This is where most of the goodness of Grizzly Salmon Oil is found and the supremely high concentration of omega-3 makes salmon oil the sought after supplement that it is. It is, however, important to note that this can be spoiled if prepared improperly and therefore you need to ensure that the correct storage conditions are met for this product.
What is the impact of the Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFAs)?
Having a diet which is rich PUFAs has been scientifically proven as beneficial for many years and in that time scientists have found that omega-3 and omega-6 are the keys to this range of benefits. They are now considered to be two of the most important and most sought after dietary requirements, and if your dog doesn’t eat a lot of fish in its usual diet then it may be missing out on these incredible natural molecules.
They behave differently to most fats that animals will consume as they aren’t used at all for energy consumption or storage. Instead, they manifest in the body to become critical structural components that have huge positive impact on the way cells and other structures in the body form. Omegas 3 & 6 are also essential in the biosynthesis of a variety of compounds which function throughout the entirety of the dog’s body including brain, retinas, skin, stomach, cardiovascular system and the central nervous system.
Optimally you would want to have slightly more omega-3 in your diet than you would omega-6 as the process it carries out has more impact on the body and it is found less in other types of food. It is also important for the overall function of the dog and helps it to store fat in the optimal places around its body to help with proper development cells and other molecular structures.
There are many studies that are being carried out that focus on researching the impact of omega-3 and omega-6 in the diets of dogs who are either healthy or sick. This is looking to study the huge range of effects that the substances can have and therefore fully understand their potential benefits; however, enough is already understood to know that having a diet which contains a healthy amount of both is brilliant for the overall health of the dog.
Given the high levels of hugely helpful substances, the Grizzly Oil for Dogs provides a wide range of benefits for your animal which can hugely improve the overall state of its health. This will be discovered fairly quickly as benefits to the dog’s physical appearance can be noticed after just a few weeks.
One of the most obvious exterior benefits is the development of a much shinier and overall, healthier looking coat of fur. The helpful compounds within the oil quickly help to develop the dog’s ability to produce strong and thick hair that gives it an incredible shine after only a short amount of time. It can also help prevent against other problems that dogs may have with their coats which can develop in dogs who don’t have a high enough content of omega-3 and omega-6 in their diets. Another benefit to the dog’s coat is that it can cut down on the amount of shedding which occurs (this may be more of a benefit to those who have to clean up after it).
It doesn’t just help with the hair of the dog but also with the skin underneath which often becomes itchy or damaged without it becoming visible to people looking after them. This can be helped by the salmon oil which strengthens and skin and improves the dog’s ability to heal and therefore repair any skin troubles which they may have.
Salmon oil has an incredible range of internal benefits for dogs as well and helps them keep truly healthy for much longer. One of the problems that it can help with is joint pain, even as severe as arthritis. The strength of the oil helps dogs to repair their joints and produce fluids to lubricate them making movement easier and less painful. It is also going to help aid their digestion should they have problems in that areas, as well as helping them store fat in the right places and put a bit of weight on if they have another problem which is leaving them slightly emaciated.
Possible Side Effects
Despite all of these benefits, the salmon oil isn’t all positive and does come with some potentially harmful effects that have appeared in some dogs who have used the product. This is not very surprising as virtually every supplement or drug in the world has some kind of natural side effect in some people due to the chemical makeup of animal bodies.
The main cause of the side effects that come with salmon oil is almost always caused by eating too much of it in a short period of time and not allowing the body to process all of the molecules inside of it. However, as this is a 100% natural product with no chemicals in, none of the effects is going to be too serious and will be recovered from fairly quickly. These effects can include diarrhoea, dizziness and nausea among a few others. Mostly, however, they aren’t going to occur if you are careful with how much you feed to your dog and keep track of when they have been given the supplement.
- The outward effects of the salmon oil are very obvious and very visible soon after first feeding it to your dog, giving it a great sheen and strength to its coat.
- Treating potentially harmful skin conditions which could be developing under the fur that is sometimes difficult to notice.
- Helping a dog deal with joint or muscle pain due to the increased healing capabilities that are aided by the omega-3 & 6 molecules being present in the body.
- All of its benefits can also help keep the cost of owning a dog down by a great deal by dealing with the skin and hair problems as well as preventing the development of other internal problems in the animal.
- The cost of the actual oil is very low for the huge range of benefits that it can provide which makes it a great investment for keeping your dog healthy.
- There are potential side effects which, whilst not being hugely harmful, can cause a lot of discomfort for your dog or potentially aggravate other conditions that they may have. This means that you must be very careful when feeding this to your dog.
- The smell of fish is very strong when using it and it can linger for a while afterwards, this may be a problem if you really can’t stand the smell of fish.
- As with all supplements, there will be dogs who don’t respond to it positively and it won’t have its desired effect. This may either be because they don’t like the taste and don’t want to eat it, or possibly because of a problem in their body that makes it difficult for them to break down the Omega molecules in the oil.
Frequently asked questions
- Is the salmon oil good for a dog’s immune system?
- The salmon oil can be brilliant for a dog’s immune system and can help them fight off diseases in a multitude of ways. Partly from creating a thicker layer of fur or hair and partly through improving the efficiency of their internal immune system and its ability to fight off harmful pathogens.
- How long will it keep for?
- If you feed this to your dog twice every day then it will easily keep until the bottle is finished and can be replaced.
- Where is dosage found?
- The recommended dosage of the salmon oil based on the weight of your dog in situated on the back of the bottle. It may be worth checking with a vet if you are unsure about whether or not you want your dog to be taking the salmon oil.
Overall Grizzly Salmon Oil can give a dog an incredible range of benefits that are likely to hugely improve its quality of life no matter its age or overall health. Whilst there is the small chance of some side effects, these are only likely if you don’t manage their doses properly; if you manage to keep track then it should be a great product to start feeding to your dog.